Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a rapidly expanding combat discipline, owing to the rise of mixed martial arts. It is well-known for its ground fighting and submission techniques. As a result, many people take Jiu-jitsu classes to compete in tournaments, train for self-defense or get in shape. However, they always wonder, how much do Brazilian jiu-jitsu classes cost?
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes may range in price from $100 to $350 per month, depending on various criteria. These criteria include the training location, coaching quality, amenities supplied, and membership choices available.
Brazilian jiu-jitsu appears to be a little pricey. But don’t worry, we’ll look at the various factors that influence the price of BJJ classes and offer some advice on how to find the best deals in this article.
How Much Do BJJ Classes Cost?
BJJ classes may range in price from $100 to $350 per month.
|Training Period||Kids Class Cost||Adult Class Cost|
|One Day/Session||$30 – $45||$30 – $60|
|Weekly||$100 – $175||$80 – $175|
|Monthly||$100 – $350||$175 – $350|
|Annual||$960 – $1440||$1440 – $2600|
Otherwise, a jiu-jitsu class cost varies from one gym to another. The table below shows the cost of adult classes at some BJJ academies in different locations worldwide.
|Location||School||Class Cost per Month||Class Cost per year|
|New York City||Renzo Gracie Academy||$200 – $250||$2400 – $3000|
|New York City||Marcelo Garcia Jiu-Jitsu||$150 – $175||$1575|
|Roundhay Leeds (UK)||Gracie Barra||$80 – $110||$870 – $1200|
|Miami||American Top Team||$170 – $190||$1574 – $1869|
|San Diego||ATOS Jiu-Jitsu||$350||$2279 – $2640|
|Anderlecht||Gracie Barra||$50 – $70||$400 – $800|
|San Francisco||Ralph Gracie||$200||$1700|
|Fort Worth, Tx||Six Blades Jiu-jitsu||$250||$2500- $3000|
|California||Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu Academy||$179 – $229||$2030 – $2500|
N.B: It is crucial to remember that these numbers may change based on the location of the gym and the instructors. So for the most up-to-date price information, always check with the individual gym you’re interested in.
Why Are Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Classes Expensive?
The cost of Brazilian jiu-jitsu classes vary significantly based on aspects such as training location, instructor quality, and other facilities.
Taking into consideration the following factors may help you reduce the cost of BJJ training:
- Location: The cost of living in a specific location may significantly influence the price of BJJ training. Those in big cities or heavily populated regions are usually more costly than rural or small communities.
- Instructor: The BJJ instructor’s experience, credentials, and reputation also influence the Jiu-jitsu cost. A well-known and highly skilled black belt competitor may demand a higher fee for courses than a less experienced instructor.
- Facility: The expense of maintaining and operating a BJJ facility may also impact the pricing of courses. For example, a gym with cutting-edge equipment and plenty of mats may charge more for lessons than a smaller, more basic facility.
- Membership: Some gyms may offer multiple membership choices, such as monthly or yearly subscriptions, which might alter class costs.
- Registration Fees: Many Brazilian Jiu-jitsu clubs charge an annual fee ranging from $50 to $200, depending on the gym’s worldwide reputation.
- Sports Practice Insurance: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is a brutal martial art that can result in serious injuries. As a result, clubs demand that members pay an insurance fee, which may affect the class cost.
- Gym Gear: Some BJJ clubs demand you to use their clothing and equipment if you want to contribute to their class training, which may increase the class fee.
Are BJJ Classes Expensive Compared to Other Martial Arts?
BJJ lessons are slightly expensive compared to other famous martial arts, including, Judo, Muay Thai, Taekwondo, and Karate.
The following table breaks down the average monthly class cost of some famous martial arts, such as BJJ, Judo, etc.
|Martial Art||Average Monthly Cost|
|Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu||$150 – $350|
|Karate||$50 – $150|
|Taekwondo||$100 – $200|
|Judo||$100 – $200|
|Muay Thai||$100 – $250|
|Boxing||$80 – $200|
It’s important to note that these are averages classes cost, and each gym or institution may have a different pricing structure their Martial arts training membership.
Indeed, Prices vary depending on the class location, number of sessions per week/month, etc
Otherwise, martial arts gyms charge more for personal training, private lessons, or special events.
Related: Is Jiu-Jitsu or MMA the best martial art for you? With this detailed guide, you can learn about the differences and similarities between the two.
Why Do People Choose Train BJJ Even Though It Is Expensive?
Despite its relatively expensive cost, there are several reasons why individuals choose to train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Among the most important causes are:
- Fitness: BJJ is a high-intensity workout that needs a high degree of strength, endurance, and flexibility. Many individuals practice BJJ to get in shape, reduce weight, and enhance their general fitness levels.
- Self-defense: BJJ is recognized for its emphasis on ground combat and submission techniques, which may be helpful in real-world self-defense circumstances. Many people train in this combat sport to obtain the abilities and confidence required to defend themselves and their loved ones.
- Competition: Brazilian jiu-jitsu has a solidly competitive side, with several tournaments and events occurring throughout the year worldwide. Many individuals prefer to practice BJJ to compete and test their abilities against other practitioners.
- Community: BJJ gyms and schools often have a strong feeling of society, with students and teachers building tight ties. As a result, many individuals want to train in BJJ to meet new people and establish acquaintances.
- Personal Development: Brazilian jiu-jitsu may help individuals enhance their self-discipline, mental attention, and problem-solving abilities. Additionally, training in this martial art may help individuals overcome anxieties, gain self-confidence, and learn how to create and accomplish objectives.
Related: Don’t allow a lack of access to a gym or a dojo to prevent you from studying Brazilian jiu-jitsu. With this thorough guide, you’ll learn about all the materials and strategies you’ll need to get started training at home.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a fantastic martial art with several advantages, but lessons may be too expensive for many individuals. Although, it is a little costly since classes may range in price from $100 to $350 per month.
The cost of a BJJ class might vary substantially based on the location, instructor, facility, and membership choices. But this does not imply that you must overpay or settle for less.
You can make an educated selection and locate the ideal gym or school for you by researching, comparing pricing, and considering the quality of education and training.
Remember, you always have the option to change you academy if you are unhappy with your training experience.